You probably noticed I’m into caramelizing stuff these days. Caramelized food it’s just so darn good 🙆.
This is some really freaking divine dessert, you guys! So you like your desserts cold? This is the one for you. You like your desserts sizzling hot? What do you know?! Just as delightful. There’s caramelized mango involved, vanilla flavored rice pudding, and some citruses joined the party as well.
If almond milk is not available, soy milk and rice milk are good vegan substitutes. Cow milk is also a good substitute as a non-vegan alternative. Peaches, apples, and forest fruits make good substitutes for mangoes. I advise on using a quality non-stick saucepan for the rice pudding to avoid burning the rice and avoid having an anxiety attack from walking away from the saucepan for more than 5 seconds. Rice pudding does that to you sometimes 😯 🏃 .
Full recipe and nutritional info below ⤵️
- For the rice pudding
- • 400 ml almond milk
- • 150 ml water
- • 120 g white round rice, rinsed
- • 1 vanilla stick
- • 2 tbsp sugar
- • 1 tsp lemon zest
- For the caramelized mango
- • 1 large semi-ripe mango, cubed
- • 3 tbsp Muscovado sugar, or other brown sugar
- • 1 tbsp water
- • 1 tbsp lemon juice
- • ½ tsp orange zest
- • ½ tsp vanilla extract
- • ¼ tsp fine grain sea salt
- • 1 tsp lime zest, optional
- In a medium non-stick saucepan pour the milk, the water, then add vanilla seeds, sugar and lemon zest. Leave on small heat until bubbly, for 3-4 minutes.
- Add rice and stir. Leave on small-medium heat stirring occasionally. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until rice had fully softened and absorbed liquid. If necessary, add more milk or water.
- Chop mangoes in 2cm/0.8in squares.
- In a medium pan or skillet, add 3 tablespoons of muscovado sugar, 1 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, orange zest, vanilla extract and salt. Place on small heat and stir until bubbly, for 1-2 minutes and add chopped mangoes. Toss mangoes and cook until liquid evaporated, for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve rice pudding and caramelized chilled for 1 hour or immediately.