Prep yourselves for these delicious, crisp, gluten-free, sugar-free cookies! You’ll only need a few ingredients and they’re fast to make. There are a lot of sesame seeds involved in this recipe, but did you know sesame seeds are an excellent source of copper, manganese, magnesium, iron, and vitamin B? 😎 In addition, sesame seeds contain two unique properties: sesamin and sesamolin. They belong to a group of valuable fibers, called lignans, which were found to lower cholesterol in humans. Sesamin, for example, has been found to protect the liver from oxidative damage 👊.
The only sweetness in these cookies comes from the 2 tbsp of honey, so expect them to be the not-really-that-sweet-yet-awesome type of cookies. However, feel free to add 1 extra tbsp of honey for more sweetness + extra 1 tbsp of rice flour. You can substitute honey in this recipe with 1 tbsp agave nectar.
You’ll get 8-9 medium sized cookies from this recipe. Optionally, you can serve them with lemon icing and raspberry jam. If you’re not into raspberry jam (weirdo😀), substitute with peach, blackberry, or even strawberry 🍓.
Full recipe and nutritional info ⤵️
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, liquid
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tbsp pure honey
- 12 tbsp brown rice flour
- 1 medium free-range egg
- Optionally, for icing
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon or orange juice
- Optionally, 3 tbsp sugar-free raspberry jam or other preferred
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees C/ 356 degrees F
- In a medium bowl, mix coconut oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
- Add toasted sesame seeds and rice flour, and stir. The consistency of the dough should be crumbly.
- Add the egg and mix well. The consistency should now be pasty, moldable.
- Spread dough onto surface and press it down with your hand or the bottom of a glass, until it reaches about 2 cm.
- Cut cookies using your favorite cookie cutters or a glass.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes, flip them over, and cook for another 5-8 minutes, or until golden.
For the icing, mix 4 tbsp powdered sugar with 1 tbsp fresh lemon or orange juice and spread icing on cookies.
Add ½ tsp of sugar-free raspberry jam on top of icing.